Good Friday...from a Faithful Cat's Perspective

 



Sula, parish cat at Old Mission, wrote a helpful book, Easter at the Mission, with information not generally shared in books that more superficially discuss the events around Easter, that explains Catholic dogma (much would also relate to Protestant denominations). 

Sula's book is informative yet delightfully illustrated and easy to understand. It can be purchased on the spot at Old Mission gift shop or at St. Francis Retreat Center, both in San Juan Bautista. Or, it can be purchased online. Want a discount? Order from MSI Press webstore at half price sale; use code FF25, and get another 25% off. Cannot beat that price! But it won't last beyond Easter, so please do hurry if you want the book.

Here is an excerpt about from the section on Good Friday:

Veneration of the Cross

On Good Friday, the parishioners venerate the cross. The veneration begins with the cross being brought down the aisle. When it reaches the altar, the cross is laid down, and the priest lies prostrate before the altar, in reverence and in recognition of the sorrow of the world at the crucifixion of Jesus.

Parishioners then walk down the aisle. They take turns kissing the cross. In some churches, parishioners sing The Reproaches, which present Jesus’s sorrow on the cross. Here are some of the reproaches:

 

My people, what have I done to you?

or how have I grieved you?

Answer me!

Because I led you out of the land of Egypt,

you have prepared a cross for your Savior.

What more should I have done for you and have not done?

Indeed, I planted you as my most beautiful chosen vine

and you have turned very bitter for me,

for in my thirst you gave me vinegar to drink

and with a lance you pierced your Savior’s side.

I exalted you with great power,

and you hung me on the scaffold of the cross.

During communion at Masses, I usually sit at the end of the pew to collect my pets as people walk past me on their way to the front of the church to take communion. I don’t go down for obvious reasons: I cannot take communion (c’mon, I’m a cat). However, on Good Friday, I can go down with the parishioners and sit quietly, watching as each approaches the cross. It is a very solemn and sad part of the service.

 

 Adoration of the Holy Cross

After the veneration of the cross, communion is distributed. And then the service ends very solemnly and very quietly with the stripping of the altar. After the final benediction, people walk out quietly, without talking. Only the cross remains.

If people want to stay and adore the cross after Mass, they can. Some do.

Because I live at the church, I am lucky. I can stay as long as I want on Good Friday and adore the cross. The silence that stays with me, like the silent part of every Mass, lets the Divine approach unimpeded by the external world.

Sometimes I stay a very long time. After all, this is the sad and wonderful story of my Boss’s Son, who is one with my Boss, and therefore is my Boss. I love my Boss—and my Boss loves me—I could stay there forever, but I do have a mission that calls me back to the Mission Gift Shop until the next gathering of God’s people for the Holy Saturday evening vigil.


You can read more excerpts HERE, along with other Easter-related posts.


Read more posts about Sula and her books HERE.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Memoriam: Carl Don Leaver

A Publisher's Conversation with Authors: Book Marketing vs Book Promotion

Author in the news: Gregg Bagdade participates in podcast, "Chicago FireWives: Married to the Job