Author Interview: Joanna Charnas



Author: Joanna Charnas

Books: 

100 Tips and Tools for Managing Chronic Illness

Living Well with Chronic Illness

Date of Interview: August 20, 2018












Joanna Charnas has authored two books published by MSI Press.



Meet the author!


Who are you? What do you want readers to know about you?

I've been a social worker for thirty years, and I have clinical licenses to practice psychotherapy in two states. My books are based on my professional experience with patients and my personal experience managing my own chronic illness.

Why are you qualified to write this book?

I've been ill since I was nineteen years old, and I've learned over the years how to have a happy life while struggling with illness. I've also listened to my patients and understand what they find helpful.

What is the message of your book? What should be the take-away by readers?

The message of my books is that it is possible to have a good life while chronically ill, but that it requires vigilance and commitment.

What are you hoping the book will do for your readers?

I hope that the books will provide hope, skills, and a mindset that gets readers through tough times.

What details (including book structure) do you hope that readers notice? How/why did you choose these details/incidents/structure?

My books are designed for sick people, so while they are not dumbed down they are easy to read. The books are structured so that they can be read in small increments if needed. However, the books can also be read in one sitting.

In your opinion, what is the most memorable detail (saddest, most surprising, most emotional, happiest…) in the book?

Readers have responded to the acceptance and hope that they feel while reading my books.

Why did you write the book?

I wrote these books to improve the daily lives of people living with chronic illness and to empower them.

What was the most difficult part of the book to write? Why?

Writing about the limitations of helping people who are not receptive to assistance, using my mother as an example, was painful.

Have you written other books?

Not yet!

Do you have plans for writing more books?

I have no firm plans, but I'm mulling over different ideas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Memoriam: Carl Don Leaver

A Publisher's Conversation with Authors: Book Marketing vs Book Promotion

Author in the news: Gregg Bagdade participates in podcast, "Chicago FireWives: Married to the Job