Grandma's Ninja Warrior Diary: Surprises from a Rock Climbing Class




Pacific Edge Gym Teaching Room



In accordance with my planned approach to developing ninja capabilities, two weeks ago I enrolled in a rock climbing class. One of the things I had learned from watching the stories of competitors on American Ninja Warriors included seeing how many of them were either rock climbers or spent time at rock-climbing gyms.

  • Good climbing depends on feet, not arms. In fact, with feet properly placed, one can hang by one arm for a very long time and feel little strain.
  • Shoes should fit snugly and have bottoms that create friction in order to use feet more effectively.
  • The "climber's triange" -- toes and ball of foot -- indicates where a climber should place his ore her weight when climbing. (After scaling the wall in the gym three times, my toes were really sore! I gave them a nice bubbling session in my foot massager afterward.) I thought I would have to build arm and shoulder strength. I never thought I would have to build toe strength!
  • It is safe to lean away from the wall if done right, and it helps with the climb.
  • Sometimes you need to go down in order to go up.
  • If you cannot find a toe hold, you can sometimes just use the rock itself as if there were a toe hold; that felt like magic (Spiderman!) the first time I liked that. Being short, I think I am going to have to use that a lot.
  • Even though you have done the safety check before climbing a wall and nothing has changed before you are ready to leap onto the next, do the safety check again. Safety is #1 -- one fall can end rock climbing forever (or even a life). So, again, Safety is #1.
  • You can trust belay ropes. Really.
Ah, the perfect way to build greater upper body strength, I thought. Then, I started training, and I learned that mucj of what I thought was not exactly accurate. So, here are some observations from the first few days:

I am looking forward to the rest of the four weeks in this training program. Who konws what other myths are waiting to be broken?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Memoriam: Carl Don Leaver

A Publisher's Conversation with Authors: Book Marketing vs Book Promotion

Author in the news: Gregg Bagdade participates in podcast, "Chicago FireWives: Married to the Job