Excerpt from how My Cat Made Me a Better Man: Introduction


I moved to Los Angeles a year after graduating college. Unfortunately, I didn’t have a lot going for me. I worked intermittently at a series of terrible jobs. My studio apartment was the size of a large shoebox. Money was so tight that ramen noodles were a luxury. And I was completely alone. Who knew that being broke, underemployed, and living in a glorified closet wouldn’t appeal to the ladies?

I felt pretty down. I was alone in the world and didn’t see a way to lift myself up into a better situation. So, I thought carefully about all my options. Should I empower myself with a self-help book? No, those are for chicks (or so I told myself). Could I talk things over with my friends? Doubtful. Sharing my feelings with a group of guys didn’t appeal to me because, well, I’m a guy. I briefly toyed with the idea of seeing a life coach. But that wouldn’t work because who in their right mind sees a life coach? I couldn’t come up with any other options. So, where could I go to get my life on track?

The answer was staring at me all along. Literally staring at me, while I used the bathroom. It was my cat, Shelly. She couldn’t say anything beyond the occasional meow, but it was clear she had all the answers. She didn’t mind being broke, being alone, or living in a tiny space. She was content. In fact, she thrived. Maybe if I watched her closely, I could find out her secrets to living a good life. Who knows, maybe I could even learn to be a better man.

Now, I know you’re skeptical. You’re thinking that if a guy gets life lessons from an animal, it should be from a macho animal, right? Like a dog or a buffalo or something? Believe me, I thought about it. I even followed a friend’s German shepherd around one afternoon to see what he was all about. Unfortunately, I didn’t learn anything except the best spots to mark one’s territory. Dogs are great, but they exist on such a simple, born-to-please level that they bring nothing to the table advice-wise.

Shelly, on the other hand, had a lot to offer. She made no apologies about who she was. She’d do what she wanted when she wanted. And unlike dogs, she’d get her needs met without ever stooping below her level. So, I went with my first instinct and decided to emulate the ways of the cat.

Read the rest of the introduction in the book, available everywhere books are sold. Check HERE for more information about the book and where it is sold.

Read more about Jeremy, Shelly, and the book HERE.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Memoriam: Carl Don Leaver

A Publisher's Conversation with Authors: Book Marketing vs Book Promotion

Author in the news: Gregg Bagdade participates in podcast, "Chicago FireWives: Married to the Job