Excerpt from God Speaks into Darkness (Easterling): Soul Food for the Weary



Soul Food for the Weary                                                                                                  

Inspired by Psalm 16


If you develop a toothache, you go to a dentist, right? If you need glasses, you call an optometrist; if you need money, a banker. But what if you’re soul-weary?

 “Where could I go but to the Lord? Seeking a refuge for my soul
Needing a friend to help me in the end (Brother won’t you tell me?)
Where could I go, O where could I go, where could I go but to the Lord?” 
(Gaither Vocal Band)


The psalmist declares:
“The Lord himself is my inheritance, my prize. 
He is my food and drink, my highest joy! 
He guards all that is mine. 
He sees that I’m given pleasant brooks and meadows.

I will bless the Lord who counsels me; giving me wisdom in the night. 
He tells me what to do. 
Save me, O God, because I have come to you for refuge. 
I said to him, ‘You are my Lord, I have no other help but you.’”


Is the Lord everything to you; your food and drink, your greatest joy? Is he your sacred inheritance; your guard and guide?

If so, dear friend, you will lead a blessed life and be an oasis to others groping their way through dry and dangerous desserts. You will be a light in their darkness, guiding them homeward.

Indeed, who is our only source of true happiness, our moral compass, our companion-protector? As Jesus supplies all your needs and heart’s desires, you become soul food for the weary; pleasant brooks and meadows for thirsty, dry, and deserted ones.

The writer of Hebrews found one who has walked this same road and thus understands:
“… The Son of God is our great High Priest who has returned to heaven to help us. Therefore, let us cling to him and never stop trusting him. This High Priest of ours understands our weakness, because he encountered all the temptations we do, yet did not sin. So let us come boldly to the throne of our loving God. There we will find mercy and grace to help us in our time of need.”  (Hebrews 4: 14-16)

Jesus: “I am the bread of life. No one who comes to me will ever be hungry again. Those who believe in me will never thirst….And this is the will of God that I shall not lose even one of those he has given me but that all who believe in me should have eternal life …” (John 6:35, 39-40)

Thank you, gracious Lord, for walking life’s rocky road before us; for enduring every trial and becoming our High Priest, for conquering sin and death, for atoning for our sins, and then returning to heaven to plead for us. Truly, you are soul food for the weary!

(God Speaks into Darkness is one of the books we have published to address the pandemic. See other pandemic books and posts HERE.)

Other books by Bennett include


 Jesus has not limited his miracles to people who lived when he was on earth. Today, miracles continue--and nearly every day someone somewhere reports one.This book, selected as the Pinnacle Achievement Award Winner, shines a welcome new light on the miracles of Jesus. Thirty-six miracles are highlighted, then supplemented with helpful background information. Real-life applications applying to our lives today are drawn from each miracle, including powerful true stories of God reaching down and touching people today in miraculous ways. One or two questions are given at the end of each story to help readers reflect on their own faith journey. Readers will find this refreshing new book ideal for both individual devotions and group Bible studies.

A study guide edition is also available.


Of God, Rattlesnakes, and Okra


A heaping slice of old-fashioned Southern storytelling, this book, a Pinnacle Book Achievement Award Winner, gives readers a taste of genuine American life that will keep them coming back for more. Join the journey as a preacher's kid survives his father's stern discipline, rattlesnakes, and harvesting okra. The deep-fried characters are unforgettable, and the furry and feathered folks will steal the heart of animal lovers. Soaked in faith, people survived the lean, mean times, thanks to the velvet hearts they carried under their calluses, hard work, the good sense to laugh at themselves, and, often, the hand of God. What a delightful legacy they left us! Once you pick up this book, you'll be pleading, "Don't stop now and don't ever grow up!"






 Read other posts by and about Bennett HERE.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Memoriam: Carl Don Leaver

A Publisher's Conversation with Authors: Book Marketing vs Book Promotion

Author in the news: Gregg Bagdade participates in podcast, "Chicago FireWives: Married to the Job