Excerpt from The Optimistic Food Addict (Fisanick): Dancing with the Dragon

 


Binge eating and overeating can be a problem for almost anyone over the holidays. Author Dr. Christina Fisanick Greer knows all about unhealthy relationships with food. Her book, The Optimistic Food Addict, brings insight and support for those suffering from binge eating disorder but also for anyone who at times eats too much 

Chapter Eighteen: Dancing with the Dragon

             The fever started the day after Christmas, and by December 28, I was out of commission entirely—struck down by the flu. I could barely sleep, but that’s all I wanted to do. My throat hurt, my head hurt, my back hurt. My entire body was alive with peculiar aches and painful spasms.

             By the time I started feeling somewhat functional, I still had no appetite and, worse yet, no sense of smell or taste. This predicament gave me a good opportunity to put to rest a curiosity that had plagued me for decades: what role does taste and smell play in bingeing?
             We know from recent research and self-admissions that companies engineer foods that make it impossible “to eat just one.” Given the purposeful nature of hyper-palatable foods to make us crave more and more, what happens when taste and smell are no longer in play? Of course, our sensory experience of food involves texture, visual appearance, and even sound (recall the crunch of a pretzel or the snap of a Slim Jim), but most food addicts I know have immediate reactions to trigger foods once they hit their tongues.

             There’s a saying in recovery circles: Alcoholics and drug addicts keep their dragons (addictive substances) in cages, while food addicts walk their dragons three times per day. Well, for the sake of my one burning question, and at the risk of derailing my recovery, I decided to dance with the dragon.
             I planned my experiment for New Year’s Eve. Still not hungry from being ill, I chose my mother’s Christmas cookies as my test. They were rich butter cookies piled high with too-sweet cream cheese frosting. My mother made these cookies for the first time that year, so I did not have a nostalgic relationship with them as I do with some of my trigger foods, like mashed potatoes, pancakes, and bananas.
             To begin my experiment, I placed two cookies on a plate. They were heart-shaped and decorated with stiff, white icing. I sniffed them. I could smell nothing. I sat down in my chair to finishing watching It’s a Wonderful Life for the fifth time that season, and I took a small bite of the first cookie. It had absolutely no flavor. The shock of the cookies that I had expected never came, but given I hadn’t eaten that much that day, or really for much of the week, I figured I would finish both cookies and go off to bed.
             But that’s not what happened. Despite the fact that the cookies had no flavor whatsoever, I ended up going back into the kitchen again and again, eating six cookies total. Once her cookies were gone, I ate a sleeve of Oreos. Although my stomach physically hurt from eating too much, an hour after my experiment began, I found myself standing in front of the microwave waiting for three slices of my homemade lasagna to heat. I was in full-on binge mode.

             I woke up the next morning hungry, but not ravenous. I gave myself permission to eat whatever I liked, but I chose to eat healthy, abstinent foods. My senses of taste and smell had mostly returned, but I just wanted miso soup instead of noodle soup and grapefruit over Hershey’s kisses.

             I was bewildered, and even more so once I made my way to the grocery store for the fist time in days. Once there, I gave myself direct, unimpeachable permission to buy whatever I wanted, including my most favorite of all binge foods—two chocolate cookie sandwiches with butter cream frosting in the middle. I must have eaten those cookie sandwiches a dozen times right in my car. I could never get out of the parking lot without gobbling them both down. As I passed the bakery case I could smell the cakes and breads baking, and to my great surprise, instead of feeling tempted, I felt repulsed. I spotted my former go-to-binge food and felt sick. As I tried to recall the way they tasted, I shuddered like I had swallowed something revolting and walked on.

             Not long ago, I would have been kicking myself over not taking the opportunity to eat those cookie sandwiches, but at this point, I have no attachment to that decision. For once, the cookies have become what they are—cookies.

             Of course, I don’t recommend that anyone with an eating disorder attempt such an experiment. My therapist was both genuinely curious and sincerely annoyed at the risk I took that night, but I’m glad I did it. Now I know that taste and smell are not the only binge triggers. Clearly something happens in my brain when I ingest sugars and flours.

            

Read other posts on binge eating and the holidays HERE,

Read other posts by and about Dr. Fisanick HERE.


_____________________________



MSI Press website.



MSI Press wiki page.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Memoriam: Carl Don Leaver

A Publisher's Conversation with Authors: Book Marketing vs Book Promotion

Author in the news: Gregg Bagdade participates in podcast, "Chicago FireWives: Married to the Job