Daily Excerpt: Blest Atheist (Mahlou): The Hannah Dustin Award

 



Excerpt from Blest Atheist

The Hannah Dustin Award

My childhood contained two compartments: home and not-home. Not-home was a special place that I kept carefully separated to prevent the excesses of home from tainting it. Not-home was the place where I received validation, especially from teachers who encouraged me in many ways. Several of my elementary school teachers used me as a reading group teacher. Others encouraged my propensity for writing poetry and mysteries. Still others brought me whole libraries of books from their homes which I would inhale the way I had inhaled all the books in our small school library. My French teacher in high school encouraged me to write French poetry, which was published in our bilingual school journal. More pragmatically, I was drafted to write the class prophecy my senior year. As a result of all my writing, that last year in high school, my classmates voted me class poet in the popularity awards that are typical of American high schools. As even more validation, I won many awards in school for public speaking, interscholastic debate, drama competitions, regional spelling bees, and other activities that my teachers encouraged me to try.

I also won the city’s history-writing award. Years earlier, someone had left a fund for a monetary award to be given annually to the eighth grade student who wrote the best essay on the history of the city. The Hannah Dustin Award was named after a New England heroine, a colonist and mother of thirteen, living in Haverhill, Mssachusetts, my father’s birthplace. When her twelfth child was six days old, Hannah was captured by Abenaki Indians who killed the baby by slamming it against a tree. Rather than seeking a means to slip away undetected, when the opportunity came, Hannah Dustin defiantly took on the Indians with the help of other captives and won, freeing all the captives. About her captivity, a genealogic work, The Dustin/Duston Family, cites her as saying, “I Desire to be thankful that I was born in a Land of Light & Baptized when I was young and had a good education by my Father, tho' I took but little notice of it in the time of it—I am Thankful for my Captivity, 'twas the Comfortablest time that ever I had. In my Affliction God made his Word Comfortable to me.”. About Hannah and the escape on Contocook Island, John Greenleaf Whittier wrote: “Taken hostage, she fought back with deadly force.” That part of Hannah I could always understand.

For the competition, I wrote an essay on the evolution of the city’s library, an essay that 30 years later the city librarian tracked down and requested for the library’s archives. So, I no longer have the essay, but it has a good home. Back in 1963, when the jury read my essay, they claimed it had been plagiarized because “no eighth-grader writes like this.”

No eighth-grader wrote like that because no eighth-grader read like I did. Reading “promiscuously” had become my downfall. Even at that age, my writing was influenced by the likes of Joyce, Faulkner, Thoreau, and Dickens. These authors and many others were my escape from the various forms of child abuse I suffered. They gave me a broader picture of the human condition. Promiscuous reading I inherited from my father, who, in spite of his poverty-level income, always found a way to bring books into our house. In fact, he built a library for us and stocked it with most of the great works of literature. My father, the eight-grade dropout, was an intellectual at heart, and he raised an intellectual: me. Our home library, the public library, the school library, and the philosophical discussions with my father in the car on our 26-mile roundtrip to and from high school developed my intellectual interests. Those were the good times with my father: when Ma was out of the picture, when he and I were alone. These were “not-home” times for me, as well, and resulted in a more trusting relationship with my father than would have developed had these times not occurred and which never did occur for my younger siblings. They rode the bus to elementary school. If my parents wanted me to attend high school (many of my classmates did not), they had to provide the transportation to a city or town that had one. So, my eighth grade year (which was the first year of high school in our town), I spent many hours in exciting, one-on-one, intellectual discussion with my father, hours in which I would feel validated by him, just as I felt validated by my teachers, especially when involved in intellectual endeavors. Dad would sometimes take positions with which he did not agree and require me to do the same to make me develop my debating skills. Obviously, then, I did not think like an eighth grader, either.

Mr. Corwin, my eighth-grade social studies teacher, thankfully leapt to my defense. He brought the jury samples of my writing on essay questions on his social studies tests. I received the award. To this day, I remember how I learned about the award. As I was walking through the hall on the day the winner was announced, I felt a tug on my ponytail. I turned around to see that it was Mr. Corwin trying to get my attention. He told me what had happened and then gave me some words of advice that have stood me in good stead over time: “Young lady, always remember to ‘dumb down’ your writing for grown-ups.”


For more posts about Elizabeth Mahlou and her books, click HERE.


                                Sign up for the MSI Press LLC newsletter

                          Follow MSI Press on TwitterFace Book, and Instagram.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Memoriam: Carl Don Leaver

A Publisher's Conversation with Authors: Book Marketing vs Book Promotion