Daily Excerpt: Of God, Rattlesnakes, and Okra (Easterling): Momma, Do Something!

 


Excerpt from Of God, Rattlesnakes, and Okra

 

MOMMA, DO SOMETHING! That would be my sisters complaining about me. They started dating when I was barely a school-age urchin. When their suitors called, Momma sent me out on the front porch to entertain them while the girls finished primping. Taking this duty seriously, I poured my heart into it. Sadly, my efforts were not always appreciated.

One of Edith’s beaus was plagued with teenage acne, which left ugly pockmarks. Trying to make conversation, I asked if someone had shot him in the neck with buckshot.

Sister Iris fell for a fellow whose notable feature was big tobacco-stained front teeth. As we sat on our porch swing making small talk, my beloved hound dog Ole Pup joined our waiting party. I noticed his teeth looked a lot like Pup’s.

“Do you know that your teeth look like Ole Pup’s?” I asked him. He must’ve thought it funny because he laughed nervously. Iris failed to enjoy the joke.

Geraldine’s first boyfriend was a lanky teenager who wore western jeans, cowboy boots, and a Stetson hat. Grandpa nicknamed him “the Gunman."

On the front porch swing one evening, I asked Geraldine’s new admirer if it were true he carried a pistol in his jeans pocket.

“Momma, please do something about him!” the girls pleaded. Instead, when Iris and Geraldine were old enough to go to church socials, Momma insisted they take me along. Was she sending me to spy on them, or did Momma simply need a break? She never said.

One starlit evening, I sat on the roots of a giant Live Oak tree, watching as my sisters’ youth group played “Spin the Bottle." This was during WWII when meat was rationed.

A particularly bashful boy took the Coke bottle and twirled it around in the sand. To everyone’s delight, it landed, pointing to a girl who weighed about 300 pounds. As he reluctantly took her hand and sauntered off down the road, I loudly pip squeaked, “Well, meat’s not rationed with Robert Ford!”

When we got home, my sisters told Momma, “We’d rather stay home than to take him along!” Don’t you think they overreacted?

Sister Edith went away to Mississippi Normal College (for teachers) when I was just a sprout. There she met Archie, who owned a car. We’re not sure if Edith was smitten with Archie or his car. Their friendship blossomed; Edith brought him out to meet her family. He apparently passed the parent test, becoming a frequent family guest.

One day Edith asked if she could invite Archie out for Sunday dinner. This was exciting news for a kid living out in the boonies. Momma would be cooking big time. Her groaning board would overflow with fresh corn, tomatoes, peas and butterbeans, cornbread, and banana pudding. The highlight of Momma’s home cooking would be her southern fried chicken with buttermilk biscuits and gravy.

So, preparations began. Only one thing was missing. Daddy hadn’t yet killed a chicken by wringing its neck and chopping off its head with his axe.

Eager to be a part of the festivities, I grabbed a heavy broom from the kitchen closet and went looking for a chicken. Slipping up behind a sweet hen, I knew she was the right one. Lifting the broom high overhead, I struck her a horrific blow breaking her back and causing a great deal of panicky squawking.

Daddy rushed out and, seeing her distress, finished off the poor thing. The preacher was not happy, and Momma for once didn’t rush to my defense. Archie and I bonded after that, though. Knowing my heart was in the right place, he took me into his bosom. I still think he would’ve made a fine brother-in-law.

THIS BOOK EARNED THE PINNACLE BOOK ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.


For more posts about Bennett Easterling and his books, click HERE


25% discount on paperback with code FF25 at www.msipress.com/shop


Sign up for the MSI Press LLC newsletter

Follow MSI Press on TwitterFace Book, and Instagram.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Memoriam: Carl Don Leaver

A Publisher's Conversation with Authors: Book Marketing vs Book Promotion

Author in the news: Gregg Bagdade participates in podcast, "Chicago FireWives: Married to the Job