Five Reasons to Start Journaling Tonight (guest post by Julie M. Gentile)
Adding yet another thing to your to-do list when you're already overwhelmed may be out of the question, but what if this extra thing could help bring more clarity and balance to the rest of your life? Enter journaling—one of my favorite self-care practices.
Journaling helps me to continuously check in with myself, organizes my thoughts and brings laser focus to what areas of my life are in need of more attention.
Journal every day to be well on your way to more clarity and balance.
Journaling can help you:
1. Articulate who you are and name what it is that you want.
2. Become more aware of your habits and patterns so you can modify them if needed.
3. Let go of stress, release emotions that no longer serve you and process experiences.
4. Spark creativity, including helping to identify innovative solutions you may not have previously considered.
5. Connect to the possibilities available to you in every moment.
Buy a blank journal or notebook and write about whatever topics come to mind, or purchase a journal with writing prompts. My book 108 Yoga and Self-Care Practices for Busy Mamas includes 54 journaling prompts to help you get started.
Choose a time of day (morning, lunchtime or before bed) when you can write for at least five minutes. (You may be surprised; five minutes can quickly turn into 20 minutes!) Play music or write in silence—do what works best for you.
This article originally appeared on www.juliegtheyogi.com. Reprinted with permission from Julie M. Gentile.