You're Not Doing Anything Wrong If You Are Not Changing Your Life Today (reflection by Julia Aziz, MSI Press author)

 



The following was sent out in email by Julia Aziz yesterday. Good reflection!

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty tired of the "new year, new you" rhetoric. While I'm a big believer in the power of setting intentions and making commitments to the small steps of change, this whole "ready, set, go" of the new year feels more like pressure than inspiration. I'm personally feeling more of an ease in, see what happens, take it one step at a time kind of vibe.

With sadness, disappointment, and weariness so rampant right now, it's hard to get excited about the future. It reminds me of a question my aunt Judy asked me last week: "how do you know what to do for people who are suffering when everybody is having such a hard time?" I told her I don't see it as my job to fix anyone or to make their problems go away. Thank goodness for that, as there are plenty of people out there who will tell you they have the magic solution if only you follow along. Instead I talked about connection in the suffering. Coming together in the truth of how we feel is not only a salve but often a salvation. When we witness ourselves and each other in real struggles and tender victories, we get free. Personal evolution is, to some degree, an illusion; we are actually little parts of something way bigger and recognizing that bigness creates room to breathe. We are not problems that need solving after all. We are on this sometimes exhausting, sometimes exhilarating temporary ride of being human, and we realize, "if this lady next to me can keep going, so can I."  

My wish for you this year is that you feel you are in it with others who get you, in spaces that help you both to express what you feel and to keep moving forward, at your own pace. Rather than setting intentions for the future all in one day, let's go slow and watch the birds along the way. 

Follow Julia Aziz on her blog HERE.

See more posts by and about Julia Aziz and her book HERE.



_____________________________



MSI Press website



MSI Press wiki page

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Memoriam: Carl Don Leaver

A Publisher's Conversation with Authors: Book Marketing vs Book Promotion

Author in the news: Gregg Bagdade participates in podcast, "Chicago FireWives: Married to the Job