Daily Excerpt: Lessons of Labor (Aziz) - Introduction (to the Book)




Excerpt from Lessons of Labor

INTRODUCTION

 

Before giving birth for the first time, I was warned that labor would be the most painful physical experience I would ever endure, but no one ever told me I would be entering into battle with my own mind. No one explained that the pain of labor was just as much about facing my inner demons and giving up the pretense of control as it was about physical discomfort. I didn’t know that I would keep learning from the experience for the rest of my life.

 

This book is not a manual for having a “successful” natural birth or for becoming the ultimate Zen mother. Though you may have been searching for such a guide, I do not think you need one. I offer you the stories of my birth and early motherhood experiences to share the learning I received through this incredible rite of passage. Instead of teaching you how to labor or how to live your life, my reflections are intended to ignite your curiosity about your own labor as an opportunity for self-discovery. More than anything, I hope this book inspires you to trust deeply that your life experience is your greatest teacher.

 

A Little about Me

I have been lucky, very much so. I did not encounter any truly unmanageable complications during my pregnancies or births. I had a supportive husband and adequate health care. The struggles I encountered derived mostly from a low-level anxiety I have lived with my whole life. It’s a default mode of functioning when I’m under duress or facing something new. I used to try to hide my worry and tension, but now I see that I can be of more service to both myself and others if I bring these old patterns into the light. From counseling countless mothers and sharing stories with friends, I have realized that I am not alone. Most of us get a little crazy sometimes; we just get crazy about different things. This book is for women who hunger for some perspective and encouragement that won’t fuel their fears or increase their self-imposed pressure.

 

I have three children, the first born in the hospital and the second two at home. Before any of them were to enter my life, I became pregnant for the first time but lost that very small baby in an early miscarriage. That first birth and loss is part of my story, too, and it offers its own wisdom. For this reason, I share it with you in these pages as well.

 

Why We Can Learn Something from Giving Birth

All our life experiences, if viewed through the lens of open curiosity, can be used for personal growth. In the regular, everyday world, we perceive change slowly. Days or months can pass with nothing seemingly new, but with more intense situations, everything we normally experience in our interior world arrives in a rush. My whole life story—every theme and every emotion—has seemingly been played out in fast and hard encounters like a ten-day meditation retreat, a five-week road trip, or twelve hours of labor. What I have seen and learned there is accessible, raw, and meaningful. The memories are touchstones to return to again and again.

Birth and death are, by their nature, the most intense experiences we will have in our lifetime. Most of us cannot remember our own births, and we can’t tell the story of our deaths. So, giving birth to another human being, in my opinion, is about as fundamental a transformation as we can hope to experience consciously. Not only do we become Mother through this difficult passage, but we also experience the loss of the greatest intimacy possible—that of one person living inside another. It is as mundane as it gets but also uniquely amazing and profound.

 

Women anticipate labor with every emotion there is, from eagerness and joy to anxiety and dread, often with good doses of impatience or ambivalence as well. Many women yearn to have the perfect birth and write birth plans in an attempt to safeguard their way. I, too, wrote a birth plan the first time around. I hoped it would protect me from everything I feared and from the unknown in general. The plan would demonstrate how informed I was and would help me stay in control. Only during that first labor did I realize how having a baby is nothing if not an experience of complete loss of control. This is not something modern women enjoy all that much. So much of our pre-baby lives are spent making choices and decisions, deciding what we want and figuring out how to get it. Having a child is nothing like that!

 

For many of us, once we’ve given birth, the urge to share our stories is strong, but in the surge of activity involved in taking care of a newborn baby, these stories soon fade into the distance. They are remembered with less and less detail and eventually less emotional charge. Soon, they become quick summaries, judged “good” if they matched our desires and “bad” if they didn’t.

 

There may be something more to our stories than just whether we had a good or bad birth experience, though. We might consider questions beyond whether or not everything went the way we wanted. Instead, we might ask what these birth stories tell us about ourselves. What meaning can we find in the particular way we came face to face with pain, with the unknown, and with the delivery of new life into this world? How might we use this experience in the future? Can it teach us something about how we mother our children or about who we are becoming in this next phase of our lives?

 

The Book

Lessons of Labor is divided into four parts (Babies 1, 2, 3 and Miscarriage), each consisting of multiple short chapters. The chapters begin with excerpts from my birth stories, all of which were recorded within hours of the actual experiences. After each excerpt, a simple but relevant insight is offered. These “lessons of labor” are followed by essays that reflect on how the challenges of birthing are analogous to the personal growth opportunities of early motherhood. While the birth story excerpts follow the sequential experience of labor, the discussions after each lesson were written at different times, and they span the past decade of my life.

 

To be clear, it’s not as if I gave birth, learned some life lessons, and then lived happily or wisely ever after. Sometimes, I was inspired while breathing deeply through a contraction; other times, I discovered something new when I looked back in retrospect. In the big picture, I have been learning these lessons since my own birth, and I re-learn them every time I fall off course. Like a hidden curriculum for my life, they lie beneath the surface of both my mundane and extraordinary moments.

 

For You, the Reader

The lessons in this book are not prescriptions for living. They are reminders, little lamps on in the house next door that let you know you are not alone. I hope to remind you of what you already know but maybe have forgotten for a time. I hope to inspire you to look at your own life, no matter what it encompasses, as an opportunity to learn and to love, to heal and to grow. Becoming a mother is part of the journey of discovery, one of adventure, pain, love, and surprises.

 

Above all, I hope you become your own best advisor in the birthing process, in parenting, and in living. May this book remind you to dive deeper into life, to reflect and learn as you go, and to make the most out of whatever is born to you.


For more posts by and about Julia and her book, click HERE.

Sign up for the MSI Press LLC newsletter

Follow MSI Press on TwitterFace Book, and Instagram.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Memoriam: Carl Don Leaver

A Publisher's Conversation with Authors: Book Marketing vs Book Promotion

Author in the news: Gregg Bagdade participates in podcast, "Chicago FireWives: Married to the Job