Precerpt from My 20th Language: L6, German - High School

 


High School German

My German study started in high school, my junior year. I transferred schools in order to get a third language, having already studied two years of Latin and a year of French, the latter of which at that time in history I could study at any high school in Maine or New Hampshire (and I did take two more years at the new school).

My two years of German differed in the extreme. The first year was taught be a proficiency-oriented teacher—before communicative orientations toward language teaching had taken hold. Young and excited about German culture, she had spent the previous year in Germany and did her best to transfer her enthusiasm and experiences to us. We learned songs that I remember to this day. I think we learned some grammar, too, but I don’t remember that part.

German II was taught by my 8th grade English teacher, a stickler for grammar—and I bless him to this day. All those diagramming of sentences in English class have stood me in good stead for understanding linguistic systems and have, for certain, made me a better writer. They provided as well a good skeleton for succeeding in his German class. On the other hand, those students who had not been prepared for looking at language through a linguistic lens fared poorly in his class, with fewer and fewer openly participating. He did not force participation, so I got a lot more chance to “practice,” given my intense interest in the grammatical system. I did, after all, become a linguist. I was also one of the few students of language who are able to move from a strict grammatical acquisition to actually being able to use the language easily in writing and speaking. Most students find that kind of transfer awkward.

One of the two years, I do not remember which now—or why, I received the German Consulate award for something or other. It must have had to do with literature because they gave me a copy of a thick book of German fairy tales. That book still sits on my bookshelf although I have weeded out hundreds off books from my shelves over time. On some subconscious level, it clearly represents something of value to me. The purpose as I recall was to encourage further study of German. Not a problem. I studied German a lot more and went to Germany and used the language in a variety of ways. 

For more precerpts from My 20th Language, click HERE.

For more posts about language learning, click HERE.


MSI Press, a veteran-owned publishing house based in California, United States
best known for turning new writers into award-winning authors,
has gained mass recognition for releasing highly acclaimed books of varying genres
that are distributed internationally. Check us out on Wikitia.


To purchase copies of any MSI Press book at 25% discount,

use code FF25 at MSI Press webstore;

for free shipping, use code ship4free.

(Codes cannot be used together; they are meant to provide a choice of discount.)



Want to read an MSI Press book and not have to pay for it?
(1) Ask your local library to purchase and shelve it.
(2) Ask us for a review copy; we love to have our books reviewed.


VISIT OUR WEBSITE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT ALL OUR AUTHORS AND TITLES AND TO FOLLOW US ON OUR VARIOUS PLATFORMS.


CONTACT INFO@MSIPRESS.COM TO SBUMIT A BOOK PROPOSAL/MAMUSCRIPT OR TO CONTACT ONE OF OUR AUTHORS.



Sign up for the MSI Press LLC monthly newsletter: get inside information before others see it and access to additional book content
(recent releases, sales/discounts, awards, reviews, Amazon top 100 list, links to precerpts/excerpts, author advice, and more)

Check out recent issues.


 

   

MSI Press is ranked among the top publishers in California.
Check out our rankings -- and more --
HERE.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Post from Dr. Dennis Ortman: Words Matter

Tuesday's Tip for Language Learning: Language Islands, A Shortcut to Language Fluency

A Publisher's Conversation with Authors: De-confusing Royalty Structure