How Chronic Illness Affects Reaching Your Goals in Life
1. The Energy Economy: When Every Goal Has a Price
People with chronic illness live with a finite, unpredictable supply of energy. Tasks that others consider small — making a phone call, attending a meeting, running an errand — may require careful budgeting. This means:
Goals take longer.
Progress comes in bursts rather than steady lines.
Rest becomes part of the plan, not a sign of weakness.
The challenge isn’t laziness or lack of motivation; it’s the physics of a body that demands respect.
2. The Unpredictability Factor
Chronic illness often brings flare-ups, fatigue spikes, or sudden limitations. This unpredictability affects long-term planning:
Commitments feel risky.
Deadlines can become sources of anxiety.
Opportunities may be missed simply because the body says “not today.”
This doesn’t mean people with chronic illness lack discipline — it means they live with variables others never have to consider.
3. Identity Shifts and Reimagined Dreams
Illness can force a reevaluation of identity:
“Who am I if I can’t do what I used to do?”
“What does success look like now?”
“How do I build a life that fits my body instead of fighting it?”
Many people discover new strengths: creativity, resilience, adaptability, and a deeper understanding of what truly matters.
4. Emotional Weight and Invisible Labor
Chronic illness adds layers of emotional work:
Grieving lost abilities
Managing fear about the future
Navigating others’ misunderstandings
Carrying guilt for needing rest or accommodations
This emotional labor competes with the energy needed for goal‑pursuit.
5. The Slow-Burn Triumphs
Despite the obstacles, people with chronic illness often achieve remarkable things — not in spite of their limitations, but through them:
They learn to prioritize with precision.
They develop systems that maximize their best days.
They cultivate patience and persistence that others rarely need.
Their achievements may be quieter, slower, or differently shaped — but they are often deeper and more meaningful.
6. Redefining Success
Ultimately, chronic illness invites a new definition of success:
Not perfection, but sustainability
Not speed, but steadiness
Not comparison, but alignment with one’s real life
Not “doing it all,” but doing what matters most
Goals reached under constraint are not lesser — they are hard-won victories.
image and some content/research from AI
post inspired by Living Well with Chronic Illness by Joanna Charnas
Book Description:
Living Well with Chronic Illness is a self-help guide for anyone who has a chronic illness or who knows and cares about someone else who does. The 20 chapters concisely address a comprehensive range of issues including daily routines, relationships, medical and legal services, a joyful life, and much more. In our hectic, information-laden world where the Internet places billions of contradictory facts at our fingertips, the straightforward content of this book is an alternative resource for people who want to feel better and don't want to spend hours searching for answers. The tools inside, presented with compassion, humor, and a wealth of knowledge, are for those who want to apply and enjoy new health-promoting ideas immediately.
Living Well with Chronic Illness evolved from the author's personal experience with chronic illness and 26 years as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker.
From the author:
In the mid to late 1990s, I was particularly sick with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, an illness I’d
lived with since I was nineteen. During these years, I had several run-ins with large
bureaucracies, including the Massachusetts Department of Motor Vehicles and Harvard
Community Health Plan, the largest HMO in the state. After I’d successfully obtained the
services I needed, I’d tell my father about these confrontations, carefully leaving the distress
they’d caused me out of the narrative. My father repeatedly responded, “You ought to write
about that.” I was a Social Worker for a large AIDS service organization at the time, and my
reply was always, “My experiences aren’t unique. My clients often encounter these same
problems.” We had some version of this conversation for a couple of years.
At the same time, I had an otherworldly feeling I should be writing something. I’d been praised
for my writing since I was twelve, but I had no desire to be an author. I was struggling to remain
employed due to my poor health, and I had difficulty completing my independent activities of
daily living, like doing laundry. Adding a major project to the mix was not an option. But the
thought that I ought to be writing persisted. I’d had several psychic experiences that portended
future events, so I’d learned to respect them.
Eventually, my father’s constant suggestion and my insistent instinct converged, and I began
taking notes for the book that became Living Well with Chronic Illness. Both my father and that
voice in my head were spot on. Living Well with Chronic Illness was number one in its small
category on Amazon.com, and it was an American Book Fest Best Book Awards Finalist in
2017. I’m so grateful I finally listened to my instincts and my smart father.
jc, October 2022
----
For more posts about Joanna Charnas and her books, click HERE.
CONTACT editor@msipress.com FOR A REVIEW COPY
has gained mass recognition for releasing highly acclaimed books of varying genres
that are distributed internationally. Check us out on Wikitia.
To purchase copies of any MSI Press book at 25% discount,
use code FF25 at MSI Press webstore;
for free shipping, use code ship4free.
(Codes cannot be used together; they are meant to provide a choice of discount.)
Want to read an MSI Press book and not have to pay for it?
(1) Ask your local library to purchase and shelve it.
(2) Ask us for a review copy; we love to have our books reviewed.
VISIT OUR WEBSITE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT ALL OUR AUTHORS AND TITLES AND TO FOLLOW US ON OUR VARIOUS PLATFORMS.
CONTACT INFO@MSIPRESS.COM TO SBUMIT A BOOK PROPOSAL/MAMUSCRIPT OR TO CONTACT ONE OF OUR AUTHORS.
Sign up for the MSI Press LLC monthly newsletter: get inside information before others see it and access to additional book content(recent releases, sales/discounts, awards, reviews, Amazon top 100 list, links to precerpts/excerpts, author advice, and more)Check out recent issues.
MSI Press is ranked among the top publishers in California.
Check out our rankings -- and more -- HERE.





Comments
Post a Comment