Precerpt from In with the East Wind: A Mary Poppins KInd of Life - Brazil: Porto Alegre

 

 

Porto Alegre holds a special place in my memories. I completed a number of assignments there, including some pretty unique ones that sprang up on the spot, and developed some friendships that not only brought cultural experiences of everyday life that not all visitors get but also have lasted to this day.

Yerba Mate

I remember walking through a park with a friend, drinking Yerba Mate through a special cup, with a flared shape, and metal spoon with a hold that served as a joint straw. She would sip, then hand the cup to me, and then I would sip and hand the cup back. And so on and so forth until the cup was empty. I can now buy yerba mate locally, but the liquid is only a small piece of what it means to me to yerba mate. It is not the same without a friend to share it with up close and personal.

English Center—and Portuguese!

Most of my assignments there had to do with teaching English and teaching English teachers how to teach English. Although I try to stay in English with English teachers (often the only chance they get to communicate with a native speaker), the staff at this particular center, where the teachers were already talented at speaking and teaching English, loved the fact that I was developing proficiency in Brazilian Portuguese. They gifted with me with books I could not get in the US: textbooks and dictionaries for learners of Portuguese (a step up from that first “textbook” I purchased upon arrival in Brazil for the first time, InteligĂȘncia Emocional, a translation of Goleman’s work. As an expert language learner, I do not need a textbook to learn a language, but having the textbooks allowed me to confirm conclusions I had reached about how the grammar and lexicon worked.

I was almost always assigned a driver on these trips, so I was not having to deal with local transportation. It was faster, and the driver knew where I needed to be and when. The center had a choice of a couple drivers. One did not speak English. That is the one the director, Joao, chose for me. He told the driver that I spoke fluent Portuguese. Of course, I did not, but by then I had had some tests by fire (such as my AOL internet account not working and having to call the helpline—obviously, in Portuguese—and be walked through the set up in Portuguese; the fact that I got the internet working was proof to me that I had at least acquired the most necessary level of proficiency in Portuguese: solving real-life problems).Communicating with the driver was not only another real-life, high-stakes test but also a wonderful way to grow my Portuguese proficiency fast. I doubt that Joao has any idea how grateful I am for that experience.

Porto Alegre Book Fair

Several of the teachers at this center contributed chapters to my edited book, Passport to the World, a collection of language learning and teaching strategies. Having authors from Brazil before the days of easy internet access was a challenge, but worth the effort.

When the book came out, it was selected for representation at the famous book fair that covers blocks and blocks every November in Porto Alegre. The Feira do Livro de Porto Alegre has been held every year since 1955 in the Praça da AlfĂąndega and is considered the largest open‑air literary event in Latin America. That year, 20 authors from abroad were invited to join Brazilian authors. I was the author selected from the USA. A banquet was held in our honor when we arrived. Unfortunately, after all these years, I do not remember who the authors were or what countries they came from. I imagine they do not remember me, either, but it was definitely a memorable experience.

One of the activities associated with the weeklong fair were interviews of the foreign authors on TV (among a whole lot of other television coverage). I was interviewed by a very popular reporter, whose name, of course, I do not recall. The reporter spoke excellent English. The plan was to ask me questions in English, then repeat the question and the answer in Portuguese to the live television audience, followed by a question and answer session with the audience that the reporter would translate. The interview went swimmingly. It was of considerable interest the book chapters came from authors from a number of countries, including those local to Porto Alegre. When the audience session started, however, everything broke down. Someone would ask a question in Portuguese, and without waiting for the translation to come, I would simply answer it. In Portuguese if I could; otherwise in English, which would prompt the translation. It was like we were lobbing a volleyball back and forth but more often than note I would not, I would mistakenly grab the ball meant for the reporter (in Portuguese to be translated by him into English). These mistakes could have been awkward, but actually they were amusing and created a warm ambiance. The reporter, a TV show host, asked me to be a guest on his show. I would have loved to do it, but I was in Porto Alegre that time only for the week of the fair—my last visit to that lovely place.

During the fair, my book both was on a dais on one of the central squares. I shared the dais with a GaĂșcho author. The GaĂșchos of southern Brazil aren’t an ethnic group so much as a people shaped by a shared history—the old horsemen of the pampas whose culture blended Portuguese, Spanish, Indigenous, German, and Italian threads into something unmistakably their own. They carry themselves with a kind of grounded pride, a love of open land, chimarrĂŁo, and long conversations that feel like they’ve been happening for generations. Spending time with my fellow author, I realized that being gaĂșcho is less about ancestry and more about identity—a regional soulfulness that you recognize instantly, even if you can’t quite define it.

UFRGS

On one trip to Porto Alegre my assignment was to work with K-12 teachers on a faculty development project. There I met a lifelong friend, Tanira, with whom I had much in common. We both had earned our PhDs in Russia during the Cold War, outsiders but accepted in that society, the only members of our cultures there back then, she in Leningrad and I in Moscow. She taught Russian at Universidad Federale do Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS). She proposed that I come teach with her once I had finished the faculty development assignment, and so I did. I am a strong proponent of staying in Russian only while teaching Russian, not resorting to English; in this case, there was no arguing with that approach! It remains one of my favorite experiences of all time.

In Sum

Recalling all my experiences in Porto Alegre is not possible. Many have slipped away; the remaining are so many that they would just become a litany. A few things I learned are perhaps worth sharing.

·         How one crosses streets: Very, very fast. Running and dodging between cars; not a skill I have or ever developed, I stayed alive by hanging onto the hand of whatever friend I was with.

·         Why every group at a restaurant had an extra chair: a group of four would get five chairs—four for the people and one para bolsas (for purses).

·         What kinds of fun things are given for wedding gifts: a bag in the shape of panties (with various designs) attached to a hanger, in which actual panties could be stored; I was given one as a parting gift—and I have it to this day (some things are timeless and useful in any culture).

Bottom line: Porto Alegre was the city I spent the most time in during my five years of association with Brazil and its educational institutions. That may be why it is so dear to me. Somehow, though, I think it is the people, the way they shared their culture, work, and play with me, and the insights I gained into the culture and the comfort I developed with it that has made the lasting impact on my life. I cannot imagine my life without a Porto Alegre chapter.

From the forthcoming book:

In with the East Wind...A Mary Poppins Kind of Life

Volume 1: ABC Lands

by Dr. Betty Lou Leaver


For more posts about and from this book, click HERE.

For more posts by and about Betty Lou Leaver, click HERE.


MSI Press, a veteran-owned publishing house based in California, United States
best known for turning new writers into award-winning authors,
has gained mass recognition for releasing highly acclaimed books of varying genres
that are distributed internationally. Check us out on Wikitia.


To purchase copies of any MSI Press book at 25% discount,

use code FF25 at MSI Press webstore.



Want to read an MSI Press book and not have to pay for it?
(1) Ask your local library to purchase and shelve it.
(2) Ask us for a review copy; we love to have our books reviewed.


VISIT OUR WEBSITE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT ALL OUR AUTHORS AND TITLES.




Sign up for the MSI Press LLC monthly newsletter: get inside information before others see it and access to additional book content
(recent releases, sales/discounts, awards, reviews, Amazon top 100 list, links to precerpts/excerpts, author advice, and more)

Check out recent issues.

 

 



Follow MSI Press on Twitter, Face Book, Pinterest, and Bluesky. 



 

 


MSI Press welcomes submissions that reflect legacy and lived experience. Learn more about our publishing process on our website. We help writers become award-winning published authors, one writer at a time. We are a family, not a factory. Check our listing in Writer's Market, the most trusted guide to publishing.




Turned away by other publishers because you are a first-time author and/or do not have a strong platform yet? If you have a strong manuscript, San Juan Books, our hybrid publishing division, may be able to help. Ask us. Check out more information at www.msipress.com.

 






Planning on self-publishing and don't know where to start? Our author au pair services will mentor you through the process. See what we can do for your at www.msipress.com.






Interested in receiving a free copy of this or any MSI Press LLC book in exchange for reviewing a current or forthcoming MSI Press LLC book? Contact editor@msipress.com.



Want an author-signed copy of this book? Purchase the book at 25% discount (use coupon code FF25) and concurrently send a written request to orders@msipress.com.

Julia Aziz, signing her book, Lessons of Labor, at an event at Book People in Austin, Texas.


Want to communicate with one of our authors? You can! Find their contact information on our Authors' Pages.

Steven Greenebaum, author of award-winning books, An Afternoon's Discussion and One Family: Indivisible, talking to a reader at Barnes & Noble in Gilroy, California.




   
MSI Press is ranked among the top publishers in California.
Check out our rankings -- and more --
HERE.

  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Post from Dr. Dennis Ortman: Words Matter

Tuesday's Tip for Language Learning: Language Islands, A Shortcut to Language Fluency

A Publisher's Conversation with Authors: De-confusing Royalty Structure