Precerpt from My 20th Language: L4 French - Pen-Pal from France
My Pen-Pal
In addition to the rich milieu I grew up, frequent correspondence
with a pen-pal, Yves, from France enhanced my French-learning endeavors. I
gained an understanding of another French-speaking culture, other idioms, and a
country with a deep history. Yves, with whom the Youth of All Nations pen-pal
organization connected me, shared his lived experience as he lived it, sending papers
and pictures that allowed me to vicariously share in that experience. Of
course, it gave me a lot of opportunity to use expressive language where it
mattered whether I got it right. Often—and I still smile about it—Yves would
send my letters back with errors corrected!
After college, I lost contact with Yves, but he somehow
managed to contact me when I was living in Montana in my early 20s. Just
married and with one kid. He was visiting New York City and wanted to come see
me. However, he did not realize the vastness of the territory of the United
States; he did not have enough money to make it all the way to Montana.
Opportunity lost.
Decades passed. Out of the blue, now in my late 70s, I
received a note on Face Book from Yves, wondering if I was his pen-pal of yore.
Yes! Sucha a small world, especially for us linguists.
For more precerpts from My 20th Language, click HERE.
For more posts about language learning, click HERE.
has gained mass recognition for releasing highly acclaimed books of varying genres
that are distributed internationally. Check us out on Wikitia.
To purchase copies of any MSI Press book at 25% discount,
use code FF25 at MSI Press webstore;
for free shipping, use code ship4free.
(Codes cannot be used together; they are meant to provide a choice of discount.)
Want to read an MSI Press book and not have to pay for it?
(1) Ask your local library to purchase and shelve it.
(2) Ask us for a review copy; we love to have our books reviewed.
VISIT OUR WEBSITE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT ALL OUR AUTHORS AND TITLES AND TO FOLLOW US ON OUR VARIOUS PLATFORMS.
CONTACT INFO@MSIPRESS.COM TO SBUMIT A BOOK PROPOSAL/MAMUSCRIPT OR TO CONTACT ONE OF OUR AUTHORS.
Sign up for the MSI Press LLC monthly newsletter: get inside information before others see it and access to additional book content(recent releases, sales/discounts, awards, reviews, Amazon top 100 list, links to precerpts/excerpts, author advice, and more)Check out recent issues.
MSI Press is ranked among the top publishers in California.
Check out our rankings -- and more -- HERE.



Comments
Post a Comment