Manage Chronic Illness by Redefining Success

 



Chronic illness changes the metrics by which life is measured. The usual yardsticks — productivity, speed, perfection — lose their relevance when the body demands a different rhythm. What emerges instead is a more humane, sustainable definition of success.

Not Perfection, but Sustainability

Perfection is brittle. It shatters under pressure. Sustainability bends and endures. For those living with chronic illness, success means creating a life that can be maintained — not just on good days, but across the unpredictable terrain of flare‑ups, fatigue, and recovery. It’s about designing routines that nourish rather than deplete, choosing goals that fit the body’s real capacity, and celebrating consistency over intensity.

Not Speed, but Steadiness

The world prizes acceleration — fast results, quick fixes, instant progress. Chronic illness teaches the opposite: that slow, steady effort often leads to deeper growth. Steadiness builds trust with your own body. It honors pacing, rest, and the long arc of healing. It’s the quiet rhythm of someone who keeps moving forward, even when the steps are small.

Not Comparison, but Alignment

Comparison is a thief of peace. Chronic illness invites alignment instead — with one’s own reality, values, and limitations. Success becomes personal: living in harmony with what is possible today, not what others can do or what you once could. Alignment means listening inward, adjusting outward, and finding satisfaction in authenticity rather than competition.

Not “Doing It All,” but Doing What Matters Most

Energy becomes currency. Every action has a cost. People with chronic illness learn to spend that currency wisely — on relationships, creativity, purpose, and rest. Doing what matters most isn’t a compromise; it’s clarity. It’s the art of choosing meaning over motion.

Hard‑Won Victories

Goals reached under constraint are not lesser. They are refined by effort, patience, and adaptation.

Each accomplishment — whether finishing a project, maintaining stability, or simply showing up — carries the weight of persistence. These victories may be quiet, but they are profound. They reveal a kind of success that doesn’t glitter, yet glows from within: the triumph of living fully, deliberately, and sustainably.

image and some content/research from AI


post inspired by Living Well with Chronic Illness by Joanna Charnas

Book Description: 

Living Well with Chronic Illness is a self-help guide for anyone who has a chronic illness or who knows and cares about someone else who does. The 20 chapters concisely address a comprehensive range of issues including daily routines, relationships, medical and legal services, a joyful life, and much more. In our hectic, information-laden world where the Internet places billions of contradictory facts at our fingertips, the straightforward content of this book is an alternative resource for people who want to feel better and don't want to spend hours searching for answers. The tools inside, presented with compassion, humor, and a wealth of knowledge, are for those who want to apply and enjoy new health-promoting ideas immediately.

Living Well with Chronic Illness evolved from the author's personal experience with chronic illness and 26 years as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker.


From the author:

In the mid to late 1990s, I was particularly sick with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, an illness I’d lived with since I was nineteen. During these years, I had several run-ins with large bureaucracies, including the Massachusetts Department of Motor Vehicles and Harvard Community Health Plan, the largest HMO in the state. After I’d successfully obtained the services I needed, I’d tell my father about these confrontations, carefully leaving the distress they’d caused me out of the narrative. 

My father repeatedly responded, “You ought to write about that.” 

I was a Social Worker for a large AIDS service organization at the time, and my reply was always, “My experiences aren’t unique. My clients often encounter these same problems.” 

We had some version of this conversation for a couple of years. At the same time, I had an otherworldly feeling I should be writing something. I’d been praised for my writing since I was twelve, but I had no desire to be an author. I was struggling to remain employed due to my poor health, and I had difficulty completing my independent activities of daily living, like doing laundry. Adding a major project to the mix was not an option. But the thought that I ought to be writing persisted. I’d had several psychic experiences that portended future events, so I’d learned to respect them. 

Eventually, my father’s constant suggestion and my insistent instinct converged, and I began taking notes for the book that became Living Well with Chronic Illness. Both my father and that voice in my head were spot on. Living Well with Chronic Illness was number one in its small category on Amazon.com, and it was an American Book Fest Best Book Awards Finalist inn2017. I’m so grateful I finally listened to my instincts and my smart father.

jc, October 2022

----

AMERICAN BOOKFEST BEST BOOKS AWARD FINALIST
#1 HOT NEW RELEASE ON AMAZON





For more posts about Joanna Charnas and her books, click HERE.




CONTACT editor@msipress.com FOR A REVIEW COPY


MSI Press, a veteran-owned publishing house based in California, United States
best known for turning new writers into award-winning authors,
has gained mass recognition for releasing highly acclaimed books of varying genres
that are distributed internationally. Check us out on Wikitia.


To purchase copies of any MSI Press book at 25% discount,

use code FF25 at MSI Press webstore;

for free shipping, use code ship4free.

(Codes cannot be used together; they are meant to provide a choice of discount.)



Want to read an MSI Press book and not have to pay for it?
(1) Ask your local library to purchase and shelve it.
(2) Ask us for a review copy; we love to have our books reviewed.


VISIT OUR WEBSITE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT ALL OUR AUTHORS AND TITLES AND TO FOLLOW US ON OUR VARIOUS PLATFORMS.


CONTACT INFO@MSIPRESS.COM TO SBUMIT A BOOK PROPOSAL/MAMUSCRIPT OR TO CONTACT ONE OF OUR AUTHORS.



Sign up for the MSI Press LLC monthly newsletter: get inside information before others see it and access to additional book content
(recent releases, sales/discounts, awards, reviews, Amazon top 100 list, links to precerpts/excerpts, author advice, and more)

Check out recent issues.


 

   

MSI Press is ranked among the top publishers in California.
Check out our rankings -- and more --
HERE.

image and some content/research from AI


post inspired by Living Well with Chronic Illness by Joanna Charnas

Book Description: 

Living Well with Chronic Illness is a self-help guide for anyone who has a chronic illness or who knows and cares about someone else who does. The 20 chapters concisely address a comprehensive range of issues including daily routines, relationships, medical and legal services, a joyful life, and much more. In our hectic, information-laden world where the Internet places billions of contradictory facts at our fingertips, the straightforward content of this book is an alternative resource for people who want to feel better and don't want to spend hours searching for answers. The tools inside, presented with compassion, humor, and a wealth of knowledge, are for those who want to apply and enjoy new health-promoting ideas immediately.

Living Well with Chronic Illness evolved from the author's personal experience with chronic illness and 26 years as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker.


From the author:

In the mid to late 1990s, I was particularly sick with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, an illness I’d

lived with since I was nineteen. During these years, I had several run-ins with large

bureaucracies, including the Massachusetts Department of Motor Vehicles and Harvard

Community Health Plan, the largest HMO in the state. After I’d successfully obtained the

services I needed, I’d tell my father about these confrontations, carefully leaving the distress

they’d caused me out of the narrative. My father repeatedly responded, “You ought to write

about that.” I was a Social Worker for a large AIDS service organization at the time, and my

reply was always, “My experiences aren’t unique. My clients often encounter these same

problems.” We had some version of this conversation for a couple of years.

At the same time, I had an otherworldly feeling I should be writing something. I’d been praised

for my writing since I was twelve, but I had no desire to be an author. I was struggling to remain

employed due to my poor health, and I had difficulty completing my independent activities of

daily living, like doing laundry. Adding a major project to the mix was not an option. But the

thought that I ought to be writing persisted. I’d had several psychic experiences that portended

future events, so I’d learned to respect them.

Eventually, my father’s constant suggestion and my insistent instinct converged, and I began

taking notes for the book that became Living Well with Chronic Illness. Both my father and that

voice in my head were spot on. Living Well with Chronic Illness was number one in its small

category on Amazon.com, and it was an American Book Fest Best Book Awards Finalist in

2017. I’m so grateful I finally listened to my instincts and my smart father.

jc, October 2022

----

AMERICAN BOOKFEST BEST BOOKS AWARD FINALIST
#1 HOT NEW RELEASE ON AMAZON





For more posts about Joanna Charnas and her books, click HERE.




CONTACT editor@msipress.com FOR A REVIEW COPY


MSI Press, a veteran-owned publishing house based in California, United States
best known for turning new writers into award-winning authors,
has gained mass recognition for releasing highly acclaimed books of varying genres
that are distributed internationally. Check us out on Wikitia.


To purchase copies of any MSI Press book at 25% discount,

use code FF25 at MSI Press webstore;

for free shipping, use code ship4free.

(Codes cannot be used together; they are meant to provide a choice of discount.)



Want to read an MSI Press book and not have to pay for it?
(1) Ask your local library to purchase and shelve it.
(2) Ask us for a review copy; we love to have our books reviewed.


VISIT OUR WEBSITE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT ALL OUR AUTHORS AND TITLES AND TO FOLLOW US ON OUR VARIOUS PLATFORMS.


CONTACT INFO@MSIPRESS.COM TO SBUMIT A BOOK PROPOSAL/MAMUSCRIPT OR TO CONTACT ONE OF OUR AUTHORS.



Sign up for the MSI Press LLC monthly newsletter: get inside information before others see it and access to additional book content
(recent releases, sales/discounts, awards, reviews, Amazon top 100 list, links to precerpts/excerpts, author advice, and more)

Check out recent issues.


 

   

MSI Press is ranked among the top publishers in California.
Check out our rankings -- and more --
HERE.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Post from Dr. Dennis Ortman: Words Matter

In Memoriam: Carl Don Leaver

Eternal Springs wins Literary Titan book award!