Precerpt from In with the East Wind: A Mary Poppins Kind of Life - Czechia: A Long Preparation

  


A Long Preparation

My preparation for most of my fly in-fly out trips was often as little as 24 hours and typically 2-6 weeks. My first trip to Czechia was different. I prepared for that trip in general for 15 years: 1976-1991.

First, in grad school, I took a couple semesters of Czech language instruction but had to stop for Cold War reasons best discussed in a different kind of book. So, my Czech went on hold quite early and for a very long time while still at a rather low level of proficiency.

I also took courses for a certificate in East European Studies and in one course got deep into “discovery” related to Czechoslovakia. I was particularly interested in the Warsaw Pact Invasion of Czechoslovakia (known militarily as Operation Danube) in 1968 that followed the Prague Spring, when Dubcek was beginning to bring greater freedoms into the country (Williams, 1997), but I had to stop sharing some of the discovery for the same Cold War reasons best discussed in a different kind of book. Sergei, a fellow graduate student, who became a friend, confirmed the part of the discovery that I presented to my class as a course project. When the skeptical professor questioned me (I had gone to some deep and little-known resources)m he was annoyed at Sergei’s support.

“How would you know?” he asked about one detail in particular associated with the preparation for the invasion.

Sergei’s answer was undebatable: “I was part of the invading force.”

Czechoslovakia in this way buried itself into those recesses of my subconscious in ways that other subjects could. There was emotion involved—and emotions of several kinds: my work being initially rejected by the professor (who was pretty famous in the EE Studies field, the support (and surprise) of Sergei’s confirmation on little known facts, and, then, of course, the nature of how the Czechs handled the invasion in brilliant passive resistance actions—turning street signs to point in the opposite directions, covering turrets with brown paper while invading soldiers slept, and dumping garbage into tanks again while soldiers slept. (Sergei was on the receiving end of garbage once.)

It is interesting that the most informative information often comes from individuals with lived experience and not the history books. Likewise, years later, Shirley Temple Black was in a program I assisted with at the Foreign Service Institute for learning Czech prior to her assignment as Ambassador to Czechoslovakia. She had lived through the 1968 invasion (was on a tour there and had to be spirited out) and so very appropriate was there as ambassador during the Velvet Revolution.

During the Velvet Revolution, I was at the Defense Language Institute, overseeing the Czech program, among others. The instructors actively attempted to find some cosmic connection between 1968 and 1989 and could not. My daughter found it. She had been wearing my charm bracelet with 68 on it (the year I graduated); when she held her arm up, the 68 (becoming upside down) read as 98. I showed her discovery to the Czech instructors: “89 is 68 overturned.” Or, “68 overturned is 89.” One of the instructors knew Vaclav Havel, who at the time was running for president, told him about my daughter’s discovery, and Havel promptly claimed it as one of his campaign slogans, made a poster, and sent a miniature of the poster to my daughter. When he won, the little 4x5 “poster” became her favorite memento of a place she had never been and still hasn’t.

While at DLI, working daily with the Czech instructors, I had the opportunity to revive my old, rusty, and barely-there Czech skills and bring them up to a useful level. I attended the Czech Department meetings, when invited, and that helped reinforce the language, along with one-on-one discussions, handwritten and computer notes, observing classes, and even auditing a course for a while. Once the Czechs realized I really did care to learn their language and culture, they launched into full gear, to my great benefit. They spoke only Czech to me to the extent possible, and they invited me to cultural events.

Yes, after 15 years, I was ready to see the real place. And, fortunately, I had the opportunity—twice—to do that.

From the forthcoming book:

In with the East Wind...A Mary Poppins Kind of Life

Volume 1: ABC Lands

by Dr. Betty Lou Leaver


For more posts about and from this book, click HERE.

For more posts by and about Betty Lou Leaver, click HERE.


MSI Press, a veteran-owned publishing house based in California, United States
best known for turning new writers into award-winning authors,
has gained mass recognition for releasing highly acclaimed books of varying genres
that are distributed internationally. Check us out on Wikitia.


To purchase copies of any MSI Press book at 25% discount,

use code FF25 at MSI Press webstore;

for free shipping, use code ship4free.

(Codes cannot be used together; they are meant to provide a choice of discount.)



Want to read an MSI Press book and not have to pay for it?
(1) Ask your local library to purchase and shelve it.
(2) Ask us for a review copy; we love to have our books reviewed.


VISIT OUR WEBSITE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT ALL OUR AUTHORS AND TITLES AND TO FOLLOW US ON OUR VARIOUS PLATFORMS.


CONTACT INFO@MSIPRESS.COM TO SBUMIT A BOOK PROPOSAL/MAMUSCRIPT OR TO CONTACT ONE OF OUR AUTHORS.



Sign up for the MSI Press LLC monthly newsletter: get inside information before others see it and access to additional book content
(recent releases, sales/discounts, awards, reviews, Amazon top 100 list, links to precerpts/excerpts, author advice, and more)

Check out recent issues.


 

   

MSI Press is ranked among the top publishers in California.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Post from Dr. Dennis Ortman: Words Matter

Tuesday's Tip for Language Learning: Language Islands, A Shortcut to Language Fluency

A Publisher's Conversation with Authors: De-confusing Royalty Structure