Precerpt from In with East Wind: A Mary Poppins Kind of Life - Czechoslovakia: Official Work

 

 

Official Work

We did not have programs in Czechoslovakia even though we taught the Czech. My mission on this first trip to Prague was to acquire authentic materials for use in the classroom. (This pre-dated the Internet). Among these materials were textbooks used in the public schools, the purpose being to allow Czech language students in our content-based program to sign up for various subject matter courses, using real textbooks from Czechoslovakia with native speaker teachers from Czechoslovakia. This approach often led to classrooms that allowed our students to experience classes in physics, zoology, čítanka (reading – in this case, the fourth grade reader, which could be challenging enough for students learning Czech from scratch), among others, that closely resembled the experiences of their counterparts in Czechoslovakia.

To get those books, however, meant meeting with the State Publishing House. A meeting had been set up, and I was hoping I would be able to use my fluent Russian to communicate since Russian until recently had been a lingua franca along with Czech. Fortunately, I ran into Jan, who was on leave back home and had contacted me when I arrived. He promised to serve as interpreter for the meeting with the State Publishing House.

When we arrived, an administrative assistant conducted us into a room where about a dozen members of the State Publishing House sat around a conference table. All men. Quite formal. I definitely sensed a bit of left-over Soviet influence, but I knew how to manage that. We made introductions, with Jan interpreting, then delved into what I needed and why. In the middle of the negotiations, the admin assistant popped in and motioned to Jan. He talked to her briefly, then turned to everyone and apologized. He had been called away for another meeting.

Hm. There we sat, without an interpreter. I broke the ice, asking, “Vy mluvíte rusky?” [Do you speak Russian?] Of course, they did. I knew that and was prepared to continue in Russian.

I was surprised by the response, “Ne, nemluvím.” [No, we don’t.] I was not prepared for that!

Haltingly, I picked up, in struggling Czech, where we had left off. Fortunately, they understood everything, and in the end, they offered to send one copy of every K-12 textbook to the US Embassy, which folks there could then pouch back to my office. When I offered payment, they smiled and declined. They said that my spending a half hour in a professional discussion, using their language, Czech, was payment enough. I still believed that they could have spoken Russian and that cultural pride and linguistic ease prompted their negative response. I guess I will never know for sure, but I am grateful for their patience with my slowly improving Czech and the opportunity to “practice.”

Once the books had been transported to the embassy, I needed to drop by to make sure embassy staff had a correct address for me and to make contact with the military attache who would be overseeing the mailing. I had hoped, while there, to get five minutes or so with the ambassador.

At that time the ambassador was Shirley Temple Black. She had studied Czech at the Foreign Service Institute when I was providing methodological consultation to the Czech language program there (though that was not the branch I worked in). As a result, I made the acquaintance of the students in training, including Ambassador-designate Black. That period occurred at the end of my FSI time, as I prepared to leave for my new assignment at the DLIFLC in Monterey.

During one class break, my son was with me (a gifted student in home school who had skipped four grades, he found great delight in spending one day a week in the morning teaching computer science at his brother’s elementary school and the afternoon assisting the computer science consultant at FSI who was glad to have an extra hand as he was integrating multiple platforms on separate floors). So, he had the opportunity to meet Ambassador Black. To his expressed anxiety about moving from Arlington, VA to Monterey, CA, she very kindly assured him that he would love Monterey. Then, she added that Monterey was her favorite city and, for that reason, she had chosen Monterey for her wedding. Remembering that, I had brought Monterey-grown wine with me should I have the opportunity to drop by, compliment her on how much the Czechs really liked her and her use of Czech, and thank her for reassuring my son.

Unfortunately for me, she had headed to Plsen for the 45th anniversary celebrations. So, I left the wine with a note. A few years later, I did see her. In Monterey. She had come to help with the dedication of the Monterey Bay Sanctuary. I spoke to her for a short while about her Czech experience, mentioned the wine and regret that I had missed her, and learned that she was in a rather challenging position training new women (not common back then) diplomats being assigned to, of all places, the Middle East—a story for a different book.

Bottom line: she was the right person for the right position at the right time in 1989. To see the Velvet Revolution after living through the 1968 could not have been planned but must have contributed to why the Czechs respected her and took pride in her and must have been very satisfying to her. A lovely, humble lady, and a remarkable time in world history. Being part of that is a Mary Poppins episode that I remember with utmost clarity. Who wouldn’t?


From the forthcoming book:

In with the East Wind...A Mary Poppins Kind of Life

Volume 1: ABC Lands

by Dr. Betty Lou Leaver


For more posts about and from this book, click HERE.

For more posts by and about Betty Lou Leaver, click HERE.


MSI Press, a veteran-owned publishing house based in California, United States
best known for turning new writers into award-winning authors,
has gained mass recognition for releasing highly acclaimed books of varying genres
that are distributed internationally. Check us out on Wikitia.


To purchase copies of any MSI Press book at 25% discount,

use code FF25 at MSI Press webstore;

for free shipping, use code ship4free.

(Codes cannot be used together; they are meant to provide a choice of discount.)



Want to read an MSI Press book and not have to pay for it?
(1) Ask your local library to purchase and shelve it.
(2) Ask us for a review copy; we love to have our books reviewed.


VISIT OUR WEBSITE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT ALL OUR AUTHORS AND TITLES AND TO FOLLOW US ON OUR VARIOUS PLATFORMS.


CONTACT INFO@MSIPRESS.COM TO SBUMIT A BOOK PROPOSAL/MAMUSCRIPT OR TO CONTACT ONE OF OUR AUTHORS.



Sign up for the MSI Press LLC monthly newsletter: get inside information before others see it and access to additional book content
(recent releases, sales/discounts, awards, reviews, Amazon top 100 list, links to precerpts/excerpts, author advice, and more)

Check out recent issues.


 

   

MSI Press is ranked among the top publishers in California.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Post from Dr. Dennis Ortman: Words Matter

In Memoriam: Carl Don Leaver

Eternal Springs wins Literary Titan book award!