Precerpt from My 20th Language: L6 German - University German

 


University German

At Penn State, my German skills exploded. German being a heritage language at that time in Pennsylvania, it was, for all intents and purposes, a commonly taught language. Classes were full; the range of courses was impressive—from historical linguistics to contemporary literature and, of course, writing and stylistics at higher levels and composition at lower levels. I don’t believe that is the case now, given that German is considered a less commonly taught language (anywhere) these days.

My two years of high school German should have allowed me to skip one semester of college German, the rule of thumb being one year of high school covers about as much as ½ semester at college. However, I tested out of first year, skipping two semesters, one for each year of high school. That, in my mind, is great testimony to the value of Mr. Hurley’s second-year class, the one almost all the students hated and the one I devoured. That deep foundation in grammar meant a lot ultimately. The group of advocates (fortunately, thinning out now) for “focus on form” (which is not a grammar focus at all, unlike the implication of the term) had not appeared in those days and would have been chased out the door by Mr. Hurley—and they would have been scandalized by his approach. Yet, it worked. He did not teach grammar for the sake of grammar. He taught grammar as a stepping stone to coherent communication—the same way he taught an understanding and control of their own grammar to native speakers of English. It not only helped me skill a full year of German, when I should have placed into second semester, it became a model for my other language learning efforts. Where my instructors did not provide a grammatical base for a language, I searched it out. Where I learned a language on my own, I started with an overview of the grammatical system (which is quite different from learning discrete pieces of grammar the way the old grammar-translation methods taught).

At Penn State, once I got past the obligatory second year, I took every course in German I could fit into my schedule. Linguistics, composition, literature. Old language, old literature, contemporary language. As much as I could stuff into a schedule that was already bulging with languages and required courses. (Every semester I petitioned for a course overload; then, I just found a way to double the course load without petitioning, for which I should have been called on the carpet but no one ever knew.)

At one point, I declared a German major but had to drop them after I got married because I needed to graduate early (my scholarship was taken away once I got married on the premise that “married women are a waste of scholarship money because they never do anything with their lives except stay at home”), and linguistics was the fastest route to graduation. It did not matter. The German department accepted me as one of their own in spite of not being a major. Then, when I enrolled in graduate school, thanks to a grandmother who came into a small amount of money, enough to pay for a year of grad school, and I stuffed my schedule once again, so that I could finish all the coursework in a year. (In 3.5 years, I completed my BA and all requirements for the MA, including comprehensive exams, except for the master’s thesis, which I turned in literally a few years later after an intervening stint in the Army).

In graduate school, I majored in comparative literature and eliminated the dilemma of choosing between Russian and German by choosing both. Typically, comparative literature included English literature and a foreign literature. I received permission to take two foreign literatures instead. Hey, it was still comparative! And all the literary theory was English lit theory, so I actually came out ahead with three literatures.

During the summer of that grad school year (yes, I had a FULL year), the German department brought in a guest professor, Dr. Peter Demetz from Yale, my counterpart as a German-Russian comparatist (a gift for me) but renown, respected, and deeply knowledgeable. He taught German 495, a course in comparative literature focused on Realism. He started with the trends leading up to that period, highly influenced by French writers, and proceeded a bit past that period so that we had a well-rounded understanding of where all that fit together; that gave me the grounds for carrying on that discussion of Der Sturm und Drang vs Expressionismus with the Austrian students decades later.

In the first class session, Dr. Demetz brought in homework for reading by a French author. The conversation about that was revealing and ended up propelling me into a closer academic relationship with Dr. Demetz. The conversation went something like this:

German grad student: “Ah, Dr. Demetz, this reading is in French.”

Dr. Demetz: “Yes, it is the original; the author was French.”

German grad student: “Dr. Demetz, this is a German course.”

Dr. Demetz: “Oh? You cannot read French? Well, there must be some dictionaries in the library.”

End of conversation. The students quietly departed the classroom, stunned. I approached Dr. Demetz and explained that he must of course know that, particularly with French, dictionaries would not be all that helpful,because the infinitive forms (dictionary forms) differed so much from the conjugated forms of verbs. He agreed, but he was surprised that students of comparative literature would not know both English and French, given the influence of those literatures on other literatures. I offered to translate the assignment into English and make it available to my classmates though the department office. I could type almost as fast as I could read; it would not be a burden—and I did not need a dictionary. He thanked me, and it was done.

Then, after the next class, he asked me to stay for a few minutes. “These are the readings I want to assign next week,” he said. “Would you mind providing translations?” I guess he liked the first translation! I did not mind. It was good practice in developing translation skills. It kept me connected with French at a time I was not doing anything at all with French, and it really did not take much time (but certainly some time beyond what I would have been putting into the course).

This became habitual. He had French readings nearly every week, and he gave them to me in advance with the expectation that of course I would do them. And, of course, I did. It benefitted my understanding of the course material, too. I like to think that benefit is the reason I got an A+ in the course. (Well, maybe the + was for all the extra translating effort, but I don’t think so. He was a pretty straightforward, academically demanding professor, for whose instruction I remain grateful to this day).

At the end of that semester, I had completed all the required M.A. coursework and was scheduled to take my written comprehensive examinations the following week. They were oriented toward Russian-German comparisons. I don’t think anyone at the department considered asking Dr. Demetz to contribute to the exam, but he was quite interested in the questions (after the fact) and said he thought they were good ones. Then, he proceeded to discuss them with me, along with the planned topic of my thesis (a Gorky-Hauptmann comparison), for which he had several helpful suggestions. So, I got feedback not only from the department but also from the #1 expert in that sub-field. How often does that happen?

But I get ahead of myself. There were two very important aspects of German at Penn State that contributed both to my German acquisition and to the shape of my future life. One was professional. The other was personal.

The professional one involved tutoring. As a member of the honors committee of the Student Council at Penn State, I had become involved in a new tutoring center that Penn State had set up. I had been tutoring various languages there when the director approached me that the local junior high school was in need of a tutor/teacher’s aide for German once a week for a couple hours. Would I be interested? Of course! That was not my first foray into a classroom, but it was my first work in teaching a foreign language in a formal setting, and I liked it. I have liked it for the five decades since that I have been involved in L2 pedagogy.

The personal one involved the opportunity to apply for a dorm room in Deutsches Haus (German House), an exclusive area in the language dorm (each floor was a separate language), where only the pertinent language was permitted, and one therefore learned rather quickly. Since I had neither money nor time to consider a study abroad component, DH was the next best thing. DH comprised the entire third floor. My roommate at DH came from Koeln (Cologne), and we got along famously. Early on, she invited me to a party with her American friends, among whom was my future husband. Well, you get the picture!


For more precerpts from My 20th Language, click HERE.

For more posts about language learning, click HERE.


MSI Press, a veteran-owned publishing house based in California, United States
best known for turning new writers into award-winning authors,
has gained mass recognition for releasing highly acclaimed books of varying genres
that are distributed internationally. Check us out on Wikitia.


To purchase copies of any MSI Press book at 25% discount,

use code FF25 at MSI Press webstore;

for free shipping, use code ship4free.

(Codes cannot be used together; they are meant to provide a choice of discount.)



Want to read an MSI Press book and not have to pay for it?
(1) Ask your local library to purchase and shelve it.
(2) Ask us for a review copy; we love to have our books reviewed.


VISIT OUR WEBSITE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT ALL OUR AUTHORS AND TITLES AND TO FOLLOW US ON OUR VARIOUS PLATFORMS.


CONTACT INFO@MSIPRESS.COM TO SBUMIT A BOOK PROPOSAL/MAMUSCRIPT OR TO CONTACT ONE OF OUR AUTHORS.



Sign up for the MSI Press LLC monthly newsletter: get inside information before others see it and access to additional book content
(recent releases, sales/discounts, awards, reviews, Amazon top 100 list, links to precerpts/excerpts, author advice, and more)

Check out recent issues.


 

   

MSI Press is ranked among the top publishers in California.
Check out our rankings -- and more --
HERE.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Post from Dr. Dennis Ortman: Words Matter

Tuesday's Tip for Language Learning: Language Islands, A Shortcut to Language Fluency

A Publisher's Conversation with Authors: De-confusing Royalty Structure